Thursday, February 18, 2010

GENERAL INFORMATION: Deferred Adjudication - FINALLY FOUND A MGR THAT UNDERSTANDS IT

FINALLY - An Apartment Manager that Understands what a D.A. is,
and what it isn't

As I detailed in yesterday's blog, I was frustrated by an apartment manager believing her courtsey officer who told her a Deferred Adjudication for a Felony is a finding of guilt - thus a conviction.

The word DEFERRED ADJUDICATION means that the judge does not render a finding of guilt but defers such finding until a later time. It is, in a sense, a time out.  Time to see if it was a aberration, a misunderstanding before a person is permanently branded as "a felon".

The probationary period gives the individual the chance to show that it was a mistake.  I know many of my client's were not guilty but couldn't afford a lawyer, or couldn't afford the small chance that a jury would find them guilty (mothers of small children and the working poor often chose this route).

Finally found a manager that understands.  I guess that the one that didn't yesterday will fade into memory.  I'm going to remember the one in San Antonio that understands.

She is a real winner in my eyes.  I will work to fill up her complex.

No comments:

Post a Comment